In the year 1909, after the Yosemite Valley railroad was completed, William M. Brice, who owned and operated a general merchandise
store in the Colorado district (pronounced "Col-o-row") decided to move his business to a site on the railroad, near the junction of Bear
Creek on the Merced River, and with his wife, Elsie, and baby son, Maxwell, proceeded to do so.
The buildings at Colorado were torn down, with their stock of goods and household equipment were loaded on Henry Garber's
12-horse freight wagon, and in three trips, delivered to Bagby. There they were put on a freight train and delivered at Bear Creek. One
building was partially finished and the stock scattered over the hillside, but business was carried on during the construction. The
month of July, with not a shade tree and a three-months-old baby, didn't make it easy.
The Mountain King mine, six miles down the river, and the Clearinghouse, 11 miles up the river, were running full blast, with
numerous small mines, prospectors, ranchers and cattlemen scattered throughout the country.
A post office was established and after many names were submitted to Washington it became "Briceburg," a regular train stop and
headquarters for mining men and engineers.
In 1920 the All-Year Highway, which had been talked about for so long, was started. The first work camp was established by Frank
Rolandi, who was given the contract for the road from Mariposa to Briceburg. This section was completed in January, 1924. A
suspension bridge was constructed to transport supplies for highway work from the railway station, which replaced the old narrow
foot bridge. The Schlageter Stage Line was established and Henry Hedges drove the bus twice a week from Mariposa to Briceburg.
The road completed into Yosemite, the business was moved to the present Briceburg Inn site, part of the mountainside having to be
moved to make a spot to build. ....
Mrs. Elsie Brice Dovidio